Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Learning to Live New York

I was walking home about 11pm on 123rd Street near St. Nicholas. I passed the little jazz bar on the corner. It was about half full, and a live band's melodies murmured out. People were having drinks and talking; the night was cool.

A spontaneous smile grew on my face, even though I wasn't a part of the scene, and couldn't be, because I had to hurry home and read for class.

For me, that's learning to live New York City: appreciating and being aware of everything that is going on around you, without feeling you are missing out.

It's impossible to partake in everything this city has to offer. So I try to savor the aroma of its little blossoms even if I can't possibly pick them all.

1 comment:

christina said...

I'd say a skill much needed -not feeling you're missing out :)